Thursday, November 1, 2012

Nov. 1, 2012   Paleo Diet within reason and budget:  I have been on the Paleo Diet since Oct. 4 when my heart doctor said this is what I need. Basically, the Paleo Diet means lots of meat (all kinds), begetables, and fruits, with no grain (bread, oats, soy, etc.) or dairy. My cholesterol is good, so I don't have to be as concerned about meat as my husband, who needs whole grains in everything possible. I have kidney stones, so I have to limit dark greens, and my long-lost gallbladder left me with an aversion to iceberg lettuce, especially wilted.  All tree nuts are good; peanuts and other legumes are not allowed.  I have made two exceptions so far:  I eat green beans, but no other beans. I eat sweet potatoes, but no other starchy veggies (corn, potatoes.)
     One day's meals (10-16-12):
     Breakfast:  Smoothie with an egg, a banana, canned peaches (in pear juice), frozen strawberries, and almond milk. (I add crushed ice before blending if I want it more like a milk shake.)
     Snack: Pecans and walnuts, toasted with salt, pepper and a sprinkle of sugar.
     Lunch:  Hibachi chicken with squash, zucchini, carrots, onions and mushrooms (at Iron Chef Japanese Grill. You can order just what you want, with no potatoes, rice, or soy sauce. I ordered the $6.50 lunch special, and had enough left over for two more meals.)
     Dinner:  Pork roast and onions, sauteed apple slices with walnuts and raisins, sauteed green beans, cherry tomatoes, and sauteed kale. (I saute' many foods, which just means fried without much fat, usually with spray Pam, with chicken stock or a little olive oil if needed.)
     The hardcore Paleo Diet proponents demand organic everything, no processed sugar, and no artificial sweeteners except Stevia. To stay on budget and actually be able to find the foods I want, I decided organic is not necessary for my lifestyle, but I buy organic if it is available and close to the price of regular food. I try to buy fruits fresh, but I buy canned if I need to, packed in water or fruit juice without syrup when possible. Frozen fruits and veggies are fine with me. I use a sprinkle of sugar, or a little honey or brown sugar, but Stevia gives me a headache, so I only use a little of that if it fits the recipe. I add seasoning, nuts for crunch and fiber, and olive oil-based margarine when I can. Mostly, I am really striving for variety so I don't get bored, and I depend on leftovers, but I try to have them for a different time of day the second or later  time.
     What about it? Are you on or considering the Paleo Diet? Share your experiences, please.
     I have lost eight pounds in 25 days.




    

No comments:

Post a Comment